Sunday, April 5, 2015

Real Love

Surely he has borne our griefs
    and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
    smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with his wounds we are healed.  
-Isaiah 53:4-5

      I’ve read this many times. If we didn’t know this was written about 500 years before Jesus, it sounds like it’s describing something that just happened. It names no one but we know that someone is dying for us, “upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.” He gives us peace. He is our true source. Without Him everything is chaos. When your world is going up in flames, you/ we all need something else to focus on. Christ can be your peace. It's not just wishful thinking. When I was younger, I've always heard those promises in my life to "trust in the Lord." I've been through some pretty tough stuff for my age. For example, when I went to "Basic Training" in the Army, I remembered that promise so I bought a little pocket bible to take with on the field in my uniform. Anytime I was bored (hurry up and wait), or stressed, I'd rip that out and focus on a verse or two. I know that God was with me there. When everyone else was stressed, tired, or sick of the drill Sergeant yelling, I'd usually be able to be content. I was at ease, not that everything was "easier" just more manageable when I focused on His truth. He always has me, will always be with me, He won't fail, and He loves me.
          I love this story. It's one of the premier examples in the bible. The disciples wanted to cross over to the other side of the cove. Jesus stayed back to pray. When Jesus was done, He decided to go and see them so Jesus walked on the water. The disciples saw Him and thought it was a ghost. Jesus said it was Him so Peter said, "Lord if that's you call me to walk out to You." Jesus said, "come." Peter stepped out and walked on water to Him. He didn’t even think, “hey that’s water, and not solid ground!” until he looked around at the wind, waves and water! He was just looking at Jesus. When he looked at everything all around him, that’s when he started to sink. He brought peace with the assault on sin by paying the price. That’s why we celebrate Easter! We’re celebrating God conquering our sin.
       Have you ever really thought about Easter? Yes, God became man and died for our sins, that is an awesome thing that our true Father did for us but ever thought about what it means? When God Himself decided to create humanity with a freewill to choose Him or not, God knew we would sin. He wasn’t surprised at us when we chose to disobey Him. He knew that His ultimate plan was a long long journey and this was only the beginning. Creating humanity meant that He would need to die for us. He knew this before He even created the universe. That is an amazing kind of love that is very hard to comprehend.
     Father, Your love is beyond everything I’ve ever thought to be good. Thank You Jesus, You are everything to me.

“real love is not afraid to bleed”

-Rend Collective

-Matthew

No comments: